b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh in two root nouns with patah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh in two root nouns with patah
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:52:32 -0800

Randall:

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>wrote:

> the question should be:
> was Hoq related to H.q.q.? It does it fit a known pattern where geminate
> roots produce two-consonant forms, e.g. dal 'poor, weak, reduced' from
> d.l.l.
> Hoq also has an MT form Huqqim with a dagesh in qof and preserving
> the presumed earlier vowel 'u'. So the MT form fits within all of the
> trajectories. Just like dal with its dagesh in lamed, though 'a' vowel.
>
> braxot
> Randall

This is the one example out of the list that I said is the exception. This
is where the pattern indicates that חק is from the root חקק, indicated by
both form and meaning. In all the other examples he gave, a doubling of the
second letter gives a very different meaning, indicating that such a
doubling through the use of a dagesh most likely is not original.

This is not counting that when the text was written, they used the Hebrew
font (rather than the Aramaic square characters) that has no place for a
dagesh that indicates doubling, so any doubling would have had to be written
out explicitly.