b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh in two root nouns with patah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh in two root nouns with patah
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 19:24:36 -0500

1. Of course there IS no doubling. No Hebrew speaker "doubles" anything these days --- and for good reason. I think that what you are saying (if I correctly understand you) is that doubling WAS practiced at the time of the invention of the NIKUD, and then got lost (or was told to get lost).

2. To my thinking the root of אף is פ only. It appears to me that אף is a variant of אב, עב, עף 'up'. Also related to אף are
בא, בעה, אבה, אבב, עוה, אפה, פאה, אבעבועה, עפעף, פה, פיף, אפף, אוב, וו

3. A dagesh is routinely found after a patax, a qubuc and a xirik, in a letter not marked by a schwa.

Isaac Fried, Boston University