b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem (was nifty)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem (was nifty)
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 15:08:16 -0800

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:36 PM, fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> I recognize that I am identifying changes in form rather than substance

actually, you are discussing differences in the writing system,
where I was talking about what we learned about the 'language,'
as per original comment.

I should have added some background information
that Aramaic vocalizes Jerusalem as Yerushalem
(which fits the consonantal text), while this shekel
appears to support Yerushalayim and the MT pronunciation of
the city name at the end of the Second Temple.

> a. ha-ko-de-sha? The added "heh" letter at the end of the word does not
> appear in the m.t.?

for fun:
howls of disagreement, she ain't no qdesha.
Well, maybe the prophets think so some of the time (See Is 1.21-27,
Jer 3.2),
but that is certainly not what the shekel inscription is trying to say.

braxot
Randall BUth

--
Randall Buth, PhD