b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 31:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 31:12
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:49:50 -0700

Pere:

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> (PP) Patterns consisting of prefix M- and two root letters are

>>> many as possible of Hebrew patterns or structures.
>>> My present list consists of about nine thousand (9,000) patterns with, of
>>> course, the corresponding explanation.
>>>
>>> In this sense I have some authority to confirm that the pattern or
>>> structure (M + two root consonants) is NEVER a Piel Participle.
>>>

>> (KR) How do you KNOW they are not piel participles?
>>
>> I don’t begrudge your efforts, but at this point, it sounds like you
>> started out with the presupposition that they are not piel participles,
>> therefore the conclusion that they are not piel participles. It sounds like
>> a circular argument.
>>

>>> (PP) My statement, Karl, is an empirical one.
>>>

>> I did'nt presuppose anything at all. I only made a deep search of the
>>> real structures of Hebrew, those that really exist, the existing patterns
>>> of
>>> the real Hebrew language...
>>>

> And regarding pattern (M + TWO root consonants).... none is a Pi'el
> Participle. NONE!

Pere, you know that this is not my usual way, I don’t like to keep bugging
people when they don’t answer my questions, but here it is again, how do you
determine that such a pattern does not exist in Biblical Hebrew? What clues
are you using? Please give details, not just blanket statements that don’t
mean anything.

If you don’t answer my questions this time, I’ll have to conclude that you
don’t have any reasons for your claim other than possibly tradition and/or
the Masoretic points, both of which are bruised reeds.

>> (PP) I think this would result in a QUITE interesting work for the whole
>>> of the Bible world (both scholars and -within certain limitations- also
>>> non-scholars).
>>> Of course it could become an interesting work to publish...
>>>

>> (KR) Other than a list like this where people can ask sometimes even
>> stupid questions (I am not exempt), which publication is willing to publish
>> articles questioning the status quo?
>>

> (PP) At least from a theoretical viewpoint, Karl, science is (or should be)
> OVER the miseries and meanness of human beings...

Yeah, sure! I wish it were so.

But publication editors are very conservative, and people like me who push
the boundaries often rub them the wrong way, usually unintentionally. That
is a problem built into the peer review system, a structural problem, not
the fault of the people themselves.

Someone who comes up within the system proposing a minor modification or
clarification usually has no problems. It’s when people like me who come in
from outside the system that pose the most problems. I just have to live
with that. Grin and bear it.