b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Word pairs in biblical and semitic literatures

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred putnam <fred.putnam AT gmail.com>
  • To: Olivier Randrianjaka <rev_oli AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Forum <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, steve AT voiceinwilderness.info
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Word pairs in biblical and semitic literatures
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 08:46:54 -0500

Dear Olivier,

Good question!

Hendiadys is a phenomenon of general human thought and language; it is not
restricted or special to the biblical writings. Identifying a hendiadys is
more of an art than a science, and not everyone agrees that every pair is or
is not a hendiadys.

There are probably two primary kinds hendiadys: "parallel" and
"complementary".

In parallel hendiadys two verbs, nouns, or other forms together refer to a
single entity or idea, as though the thing referred to were divided into its
two main components, e.g., "ladies and gentlemen" (= everyone here present),
"going out and coming in" (= all the affairs of life).

But not everyone agrees. Some biblical scholars see, for example, "heaven[s]
and earth" (Gn 1.1) as a hendiadys for "everything" or as the biblical way
of referring to what we now call the "universe", others view them as
identifying the basic components of our physical--earth and sky--without any
reference beyond human sense apprehension.

In complementary hendiadys two verbal forms have the same conjugation
["tense"], subject (person, gender, number), and are linked by a conjunction
(W-); they do not need to have the same stem/binyan. The first verbal
modifies the second. MHR and $KM can mean "do X quickly" and "do X early in
the morning", respectively, HLK can mean "do X more and more [or
continually]", and $WB can mean "do X again" ("X" = the second verbal). This
does not mean that MHR, $KM, HLK, and $WB do have their "regular" or
"normal" function, but rather that they may sometimes modify another verb.

I hope that this is helpful.

Peace.

Fred

Dear Putnam,

I am glad to get your reply, but may I bother you a little bit? Could you
tell me please how do you recognize that such occurence is a hendiadys or
not. Are you using software or book or this is becase of your good knowledge
of biblical hebrew?

Thanks for your helps

Best regards,

Olivier Randrianjaka