b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 21:09:19 -0800

John:
When working as a lexicographer, trying to make sense out of the words, I
found it very useful to recognize that the binyanim impart meaning to verbs,
in the same manner as helper verbs and adverbs do to English verbs.

The basic ones are:
Qal, simple active
niphal, simple passive
piel, stative active
pual, stative passive
hiphil, causative
hophal, causative passive (was caused to do)
hitpoel, reflexive

A serious problem when reading an unpointed text, is that the binyan of a
verb is often unrecognizable from the form, just from the context.

On some verbs, there is a sometimes doubling of the final letter, hence
pilel, polal, hitpolel. (piel, pual, hitpoel). Another patter to watch out
for is when a hitpoel is applied to a verb that starts with a sibilant, the
tau follows the sibilant.

But then you came with those really strange binyanim, one used only once
(typo, i.e. copyist error?). Aren't they just irregular verbs? How many of
the others are also typos?

Karl W. Randolph.