b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 16:21:07 +1100

John,

YES: Qal: Active, Simple - "Bob broke it"
YES: Nifal/Qal Passive: Passive Simple - "Bob was broken"
YES: Piel/Polel/Poel/Palel/Pilpel/Pealal: Active, Intensive - "Bob REALLY
broke it" (but I would go for 'smashed' to indicate 'REALLY broke')
YES: Pual/Polal/Poal/Pulal: Passive, Intensive - "Bob was REALLY broken"
YES: Hifil/Tifil: Active, Causative - "Bob caused it to break"
YES: Hofal/Hotpaal: Passive, Causative - "Bob caused it to be broken"
YES: Hitpael/Hitpalpel/Hishtafel: Reflexive - "Bob caused himself broken"
(but I would remove Hishtaphel, because it is its own stem for one root.

Then,

Pilel: According to George its a hybrid, according to Lloyd it is the
same as Piel.