b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 11:34:29 -0600

Brak,

Correction. I left out a word. I meant that these variant stems are not semantically "different" from the major stems but are formal variants.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

HH: As far as I know, they all function as variants of the major seven
seems, based on formal differences in the verb roots.And you could come
up with other variants. Gesenius' Grammar (#55k) mentions a Nithqattel.
It has a few others not mentioned above in #55d-g: Pu'ul and Pe'al'al
and Pilpel and Hithpalpel. These are not semantically from the major
seven but are formal distinctions.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard