b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 01:48:47 +0200

John,

You're asking for a systematization that would be unfaithful to
reality. It is the case that $fBaR /shavar/ means "he broke" and
$iBB"R /shiber/ means "he shattered," but that's really not
representative of how things happen in the verb system. You cannot put
any shoresh in any binyan and come up with some kind of magical system
like this. It just doesn't work. Some words appear in the qal. Some
words appear in the niphal. Some appear in piel. Some appear in other
binyanim. You have to learn words *as they appear* and not force them
into a system that is artificial.

For example, we would assume that pual is always the passive of piel,
but what about QiBB"L, which takes it passive in hitpael (HiTQaBB"L)?
Why don't we say QuBBaLTiY /kubalti/ to university? Rather, we say
HiTQaBBaLTiY /hitkabalti/. That's just how it is. We cannot force the
word into a contrived system.

My suggestion is that you learn words as you find them rather than
creating a system and trying to squeeze the words into it. You're
really seeking to go at it backwards. Learn the words and extrapolate
generalities about the binyanim. Don't try to get a grip on the system
and then examine every word in light of the system. It's just
backwards (though many learn "dead languages" this way, for some
reason).

Regards,
Jason Hare