b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 11:59:38 +1100

Hi John!

The problem with most of the stems you listed is that we're not totally sure,
and really only have context to guide us. So, here goes...

The Qal passive is a throw back to a time when there was an entire Qal
Passive stem. The Niphal is, technically speaking, its own stem, distinct
from Qal. However, its meaning is so close to the Qal passive (simple
passive) that it replaced Qal passive as a stem. This Qal passive participle
is the only remnant left.

Pilel - your guess is as good as any. My guess is it is a hybrid form which
mixes two verbal roots.

Tifil - there is only one instance of tiphil (Hos 11.3). We have to work out
from context that it has some kind of causative sense, much like hiphil.
Perhaps this explains the similarity in forms.

Polpal - my guess is it is intensive, probably similar to Piel.

Hotpaal - my guess is causative passive.

Hishtaphel is used exclusively for the verb $XW or XWH (to worship, fall
prostrate, do homage), and has something of a middle meaning. It is not used
with any other root.

Nitpael seems to be intensive passive (half niphal, half piel).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au