b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Many scholars accept the documentary sources

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Many scholars accept the documentary sources
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 08:47:48 -0800

George:
I wonder if there is a bit of miscommunication here?

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:21 AM, George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>wrote:

> > Demythologize what? Isn't that just a fancy term for imposing your
> religious
> > faith onto another's statement without giving it an honest evaluation?
>
> It is imposing a certain perspective, yes. However, it is not necessarily
> done without an honest evaluation. Just the same way you impose a certain
> perspective, Karl, through an honest evaluation using your own perspective
> (!!), so might some who argues for demythologizing.

What I have noticed among some people who pride themselves on their
skepticism, including many in the International Skeptics Society, is that
they are surprisingly unskeptical about certain propositions. As such, they
have what could be characterized almost as a knee-jerk reaction to other
propositions, without careful thought.

Bultmann's statement quoted by Lloyd appears to be one of those knee-jerk
reactions. It reveals an attitude of not "what is the evidence from
history?" but "does it fit my pre-chosen ideology / religion?"

By the same token, could you not accuse many on my side of "demythologizing"
as they react to the teachings of people like Bultmann?

> Not everyone who disagrees with you does so without an honest evaluation.

Did I make that claim? But does it not fit many people?