b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Many scholars accept the documentary sources

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: TedBro AT aol.com
  • To: l_barre AT yahoo.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Many scholars accept the documentary sources
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 18:42:45 EST

Hi, All:

To supplement Lloyd's comments... It seems clear to me that everyone accepts
the idea that certain Biblical books contains multiple sources and were
edited / redacted. Who would doubt multiple sources for Kings, Chronicles or
Psalms? Logically, no one could have been eyewitness to all the events of
Genesis. Even excluding chapters 1-11, Genesis covers three generations and
must
have either oral tradition or written sources, even if set down word for
word by
Moses.

On the other hand, I suppose one could contend that God inspired Moses with
supernatural knowledge of the doings of Abraham, Issac, Jacob and Joseph
that
he otherwise would have known nothing about, but then could not God have
inspired Ezra to that same end? Since Ezra is viewed, even by the most
conservative minded, as an inspired author, how is faith threatened by
viewing Ezra
putting final touches on the Pentateuch?

Cheers,
Ted Brownstein

In a message dated 2/4/2009 5:56:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,