b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Many scholars accept the documentary sources

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Many scholars accept the documentary sources
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:39:10 -0800

Ted:
Aren't you being a bit uncritical? Look at the works you listed!

Who wrote Kings or Chronicles? Their authorship is not listed. Furthermore,
what sources did they use? Some were listed, but how many were
merely plagiarized without attribution? As such, are these good examples?

Or how about Psalms? It openly admits multiple authors.

Even Genesis gives literary clues that it was made up of earlier documents,
either written by eye witnesses to the events or closely related to actors
in the events. E.g. the events of the flood were written by Noah's sons.

The problem comes in when works attributed to one author, are claimed to
have been written by multiple authors. E.g. Isaiah. That's also where the
disagreement comes in, a disagreement based on faith / philosophy /
religion. If Isaiah wrote the whole book, as is claimed, then he named Cyrus
over a century before he came on the world's stage. If Isaiah was written by
multiple authors, then the whole Bible is untrustworthy, because it is
making claims that are not true. The same is true of other books such as
Exodus through Deuteronomy. That is the theological argument. From the
stylistic, linguistic point of view, there is no evidence that all people
agree on that indicate multiple authors for those books whose authors are
named.

Karl W. Randolph.