b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Many scholars accept the documentary sources

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Edward Andrews" <edandrews AT roadrunner.com>
  • To: <l_barre AT yahoo.com>, "b-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Many scholars accept the documentary sources
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 18:56:53 -0500

Kevin:

Knowledge of what, implications, inferences and circumstantial evidence that
really is nothing more than an overactive imagination.

You write: Among Christians it seems to be mainly among conservative
evangelicals who hold to the concept of an inerrant Bible that any form of
documentary sources are unacceptable. They do not make up the totality, or
even the majority, of conservative Christians and Jews who would consider
themselves to be biblical scholars.

Ed: This is the exact thing I am talking about. The majority of nothing
equals being in the right. If we were to apply that status, more Christians
and Jews in the last 2,000 have accepted inerrancy and Moses as the writer of
the Torah. Evidence is what makes the case, not winsome words. If one looks
at both side, the conservative scholar offers the better case. When
discrepancies come up, it is all to easy for the liberal progressive to go
into some spin about JEDP authors and a Redactor. However, the conservative
scholar looks for reasonable and logical answers that still maintain the
integrity of God's Word.

Conservative scholarship took their eye off the ball in the 19th century,
seeing liberal scholarship as no serious problem; viewing them as a small
nuisance at best. They gave no consideration until the 1970's forward, by
that time universities were overrun with liberal scholarship. True enough,
they have taken the lead, but it hasn't been for the betterment of anything.
What is church attendance today? What is the conversion rate of evangelism
today? How many are moving to atheism? Was this the case when conservative
scholarship was in the driver's seat?

Conservatives have rebounded, but they will not likely recover because of two
reasons. 1.) Liberal scholarship refuses to make the same mistake as the
conservatives; they are not taking their eye off the ball. 2.) Tabloid sales!
If someone writes an article that Jesus was a bastard son and and married a
prostitute to father 12 boys that all formed a new Israel based on some new
gospel; the sales would be off the charts. But if an article is written on
the validity of the resurrection; it will have no such success in sales. The
world we live in is tabloid hungry. The liberal progressive scholarship feeds
that world and does nothing more than plant atheists and agnostics. Liberal
scholarship only gives fuel to the atheist and diminishes the validity and
trustworthiness of God's Word all in the name of scholarship and wishful
thinking.

Edward Andrews
Liberty University