b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:02:42 +0200

John,

I have a feeling you're going to continue to be disappointed in your
wait. What you're asking is how to translate FORMS, but forms do not
have translations. You cannot translate the hiphil form into English.
It doesn't *mean* anything. You need to ask a question about a
specific word that's found in the form in the Tanakh. That's a much
better question.

We can translate words based on (1) form, (2) context and (3) other
uses of the same word in different contexts. We cannot translate a
form itself into English. I don't understand the problem. Perhaps it's
one of exposure. You need to start exposing yourself to actual WORDS
in Hebrew as they fall into these various forms. Once you read these
forms (binyanim) with actual roots and context, it will make sense to
you.

I believe that all serious grammars of ivrit mikra'it (Biblical
Hebrew) treat these minor binyanim at some point. I'm sure they give
examples and context for each one. I don't have a biblical Hebrew
grammar with me at the moment, but if you look through whichever one
you have, I'm sure you can find references. Maybe someone here can
provide a reference for you.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that you should not ask how to
translate a binyan, since that doesn't even make sense. נכנס /nichnas/
NKNS is a niphal form meaning "he entered," which translates nothing
like נאכל /ne'echal/ N'KL "it was eaten." There is no standard
translation for a binyan. It depends on the root and the meaning in a
given context. I hope this makes sense to you.

Regards,
Jason Hare
Rehovot, Israel