b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Many scholars accept the documentary sources

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: LM Barre <l_barre AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Many scholars accept the documentary sources
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 15:25:05 -0800 (PST)

The documentary hypothesis is accepted by mainstream biblical scholarship.

Lloyd Barre'

Karl wrote:

>Questions in Pentateuchal studies that postulate a J, E, P or any other
>such source hypothesis, because they have no evidence, are pushing
>beliefs.  Those are the little questions that are irrelevant.

I would like the moderators' opinions on this statement. I've always
understood they were in scope. I understand why Karl wants them out
but it requires his idiosyncratic definition of evidence. Needless to
say, but I'll say it anyway, his definition of evidence is not shared
by many scholars.

Lloyd Barré
http://freewebs.com/lmbarre