b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "the Silver Scrolls"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Segall <segall AT umich.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "the Silver Scrolls"
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:29:55 -0500

It should be noted that the only accurate way people had of measuring time of day in biblical times was using the position of the sun. Therefore, even if Joshua did tell the sun and moon to stand in place, there would be no way for people then to know whether it acutally happened. People fighting the battle may have felt that it was dragging on indefinitely and wondered when it would end. If afterwards they heard that Joshua had told the sun and moon to stay in place, they may have believed it happened with no way of determining if it were true.
Stephen Segall