b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Documentary Hypothesis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Documentary Hypothesis
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:23:46 +0200

To which the "cynical" answer would be - "How likely is it that a book would
have survived, unknown and unnoticed, for hundereds of years since the days
of Moses? Especially if you consider, that the Temple was only built 440
years after Moses' death (according to 1 Kings 6:1), so where would the book
have been kept all of that time, and how would it have gotten to the Temple
in the first place. So the whole story about a book of Moses being 'found'
was obviously a pious hoax at best, which Josiah then used to justify his
reforms".

But remember that the identification of the "lost book of Moses"
specifically with Deuteronomy is a modern scholarly hypothesis, NOT what is
stated in 2 Kings 22. I'm not sure who first came up with the idea, but it
was way before Noth and even before Wellhausen.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>