b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XRH, XRR two roots or one?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: pporta AT oham.net
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XRH, XRR two roots or one?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:55:21 -0800

Pere:

You may be right, and if so, this would not be the only example of variants
from the same root. The most common ones are where the sin/shin interchange.
Examples include )T), )TH to arrive, B+), B+H to babble, making rash
utterances, GYX, GXH to burst forth, $SH, $SS to loot (pretty close to this
example), and others.

Part of the reason I asked was when I looked at all the examples of XRR in a
concordance, they could have come from XRH if pointed differently.

Your example is not so clear cut, as SKK has the meaning of overspreading,
such as with branches from a tree, cloth with an awning or lean to, while
KSH has more the idea of concealing by use of a covering.

Thanks for your response.

Karl W. Randolph.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:54 PM, <pporta AT oham.net> wrote:

> Maybe we could consider these two roots as two variants of the same?
> There is also the case of KSH, cover <> SKK, cover. Despite the
> transposition (place changing) of K and S, maybe it is enlightening for your
> purposes.
>
> Pere Porta
> (Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)

  • Re: [b-hebrew] XRH, XRR two roots or one?, K Randolph, 01/27/2009