b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The root XRS-XR$

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The root XRS-XR$
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 10:14:30 -0800

Isaac:

On 11/6/07, Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu> wrote:
> All,
>
> To be on the safe side, the ANB translates XARUZ-IM of Song of Songs
> 1:10
> נָאווּ לְחָיַיִךְ בַּתֹּרִים,
> צַוָּארֵךְ בַּחֲרוּזִים

Looking at this verse, should we not expect that XRWZYM has a similar
meaning to TRYM? Possibly referring to a soft, fluffy animal?

N)WW is a niphal plural from )WH.

LXYYK plural from LXY with a 2 pers. suffix.

TR, alternately spelled as TWR, is also in plural with a prefixed B-.

CW)RK, singular, but in parallel with LXY, with a 2 pers. suffix.

XRWZ in parallel with TR, also in plural, also with a prefixed B-. And
just as TR is not made up of aggregated parts put together, why within
this context should we assume that XRWZ is such? Doesn't the context
indicate the opposite?

Translated should not the verse read, "Desired are your cheeks among
turtle doves (soft and fluffy), also your neck among ???" ?

Any clues from cognate languages?