b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Martin Shields" <enkidu AT bigpond.net.au>, "b-hebrew Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 08:20:29 -0800

Dear Martin,

Your response finally came through.

It is a puzzle regarding the intensive negative in 3:11. Maybe if I contact
Albert Pietersma or Ken Penner or any other of the LXX masters on the B-Greek
list they may be able to help.

[Martin]
Are you saying that God has made us aware of the infinite and that results in
an awareness of just how limited our knowledge is?

[Bryant]
Yes, but another reason for my response about the infinite/eternity in the
heart/mind is that man was created in God's image, thus, not only will man
have
that infinite knowledge, but also will always have the longing for the
spiritual
realm, though unable to obtain it due to sin (I could go further, but it is
not
appropriate for this list unless done so OFF-LIST). Man, then, is a spiritual
creature. This, of course, is the whole issue regarding, "man under the sun"
or
"man in the natural realm." The Greeks would have divided the heart/mind of
Hebrew thought into the body/soul/spirit. I am making the connection that what
is referred to here is the connection of the soul (mind/emotions/will) and the
spirit. There is an awareness of the infinite and of eternal things within man
that cannot be suppressed, even when they deliberately try to do so. He is
fully
aware of the infinite/eternal and the spiritual realm, but as Paul indicates
"has deliberately suppressed the truth in unrighteousness."

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III