b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 21:24:44 -0700

Martin and Bryant:

(LM does not have the waw included. While the waw was optional at that
time for "unknown time (eternity)", the lack of it may or may not be
significant. Context will give us clues.

As for the MBLY )$R L) , that is not a standard double negative. My
understanding of a double negative in Hebrew is similar to Greek,
namely strengthening the negative. However, the )$R changes it to two
different phrases so that it is not a clean double negative.

Even as I write this, I am not really sure of what the verse says, and
I may end up disavowing what I wrote earlier. First of all, we must
take the context into account.

Going back over the words that we are sure of, we get, "He made all
beautiful in its time, even placed the ???1 in their hearts ???2 which
man does not find the doings which God does from the beginning until
the end."

???2 is MBLY in the context with )$R l) almost seems it is an enabler
to know at least some of God's character. By adding the medial )$R,
has it changed the meaning from a Greek style double negative, to a
English style where it becomes a positive? Even as a negative, it
seems to have more the idea of "without" than a straight negative such
as L) or )L.

And what does ???1 mean? It comes from the root with the concept of
being unknown. In the form of (WLM with a waw it refers to an
unspecified (unknown) length of time, which by extension often refers
to eternity. Does it refer to time at all in this context, or merely
that which is unknown or unknowable except that God put it in man's
hearts?

It was only after thinking through this verse that I recognized a
similarity between the conclusions I am coming to, and Paul's writings
in Romans 1:19-20. Seeing as Paul was an educated Jew who got most of
his ideas from Tanakh, could he have derived those verses from Kohelet
3:11?

I don't have all the answers, in fact that's the reason I'm responding
here, sort of a thinking out loud. The context indicates that the
traditional understanding may have problems, but I'm working through
the possible solutions.

Karl W. Randolph.