b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Martin Shields <enkidu AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 23:16:22 +1100

Bryant,

I'm not sure why you don't receive emails directly from me, perhaps you ISP is blocking mine!

Second, regarding the double negative with asher. It seems to me that what may
be happening is the same use as the OU MH in Greek. It is intensifying the
negative to the point of saying, "no way able" or "never able to."

There are examples of double negatives in BH which do appear to function intensively, but none elsewhere that I'm aware of which includes a relative between the negatives. Nor is the Greek parallel a precise parallel, because ου μη is common and unambiguous. Were you to read negative + relative + negative in Greek then I would think that would serve as a more accurate example.

Still, I'm quite aware that many commentators on Qohelet agree with you (as do the versions, the LXX renders it as a negative purpose: οπως μη), while none agree with me. So if truth is determined democratically I'm not the favourite!

Third, since I am taking the double negative in such an intensive meaning, then
the OLAM would be equivalent to "infinite." This sense, although "eternity"
would be the same, would allow for the idea that man will never be able to grasp
the totality of "eternity" or "creation" from its beginning to its end. There is
a lot that man will learn or may know, but man will never find the beginning or
reach the ending of who, what, etc., of God. David, as the "Sweet Psalmist of
Israel" (forgot who originated the phrase), had it right when he said, "The
heavens declare the glory of God; and firmament sheweth his handiwork....The
earth is the LORD's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell
therein....or the Psalm 139:1-18.

OK, now I'm getting a little lost. Qoh 3:11 says that God put העלם in people's "heart" (לב so perhaps just as precisely rendered "mind" as "heart"), so if I understand you correctly you're saying that God put the infinite in our minds. Are you saying that God has made us aware of the infinite and that results in an awareness of just how limited our knowledge is?

Again, there are many commentators who support this position, so you're in good company.

Regards,

Martin Shields,
Sydney, Australia.