b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The root XRS-XR$

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The root XRS-XR$
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:56:40 -0800

Isaac:

Therefore, because XRWZ is in parallel, it means 'queue'?

I'm sorry, I don't mean this in any way to be disrespectful, but I
just can't take this theory seriously. It keeps falling apart every
time we put it under a microscope.

Now you are using modern Israeli Hebrew as a defense for your
understanding? When I asked modern Israelis visiting at international
conferences, other than those who are closely working with the
language (e.g. those working on Mellel the word processing program),
native Israelis almost without exception tell me that they do not read
Tanakh because the language is so different that they have difficulty
understanding it. In fact, they often misunderstand it. Likewise I
can't read modern Israeli. Pointed vs. unpointed is not the issue.

Like you, my father is a mathematician (you probably could have
guessed from my use of English) and I see in you the same love of
language, and the same insistence on logical patterns within
languages. But unlike my father, I'm a linguist learning despite
dealing through dyslexia (spell checkers are my friends!) and
experience has told me that in practice, these nice patterns don't
exist. This is especially true of ancient languages where they didn't
have spelling conventions, nor fixed syntax (at least Biblical Hebrew
didn't). So I'm not surprised when the exceptions seem to outnumber
examples that follow the rules, or pretty close to it, but those
exceptions do havoc to your theory.

Karl W. Randolph.