b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 16:06:41 -0800

Dear Karl,

[Karl]
"...He even placed the hidden things in their hearts, without which they
would
not know ..."

[Bryant]
Thank you, Karl. I will have to think your translation through a bit. It does
give a different nuance to the negatives. I know that in English the double
negative would turn a phrase into a positive, while Greek intensifies it or
turns it to a positive (OU MH vs MH OU), but would Hebrew do the same as the
English here is a good question.

Martin, et al, what do you think?

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III