b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Prefix or root consonant?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Prefix or root consonant?
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 09:17:38 +0100

I am considering the word NFG.IYD (Jer 36:16) and I'm trying to discern whether the nun is the first root consonant (stem NGD) or it is a prefix that means 1st person plural (and then has nothing to do with the nun first root consonant).

I rather think it is a prefix and has nothing to do with the N of the stem NGD.
My thought is so because I remark that in the word WN$YM (Nm 21:30), which is a parallel to NFG.IYD both as regards pattern and verbal features, the N clearly is prefix, not root consonant (it comes from $MM).

This is not a trivial question: depending on which the right answer is, this word will be placed here or there in the Hebrew Schemary I'm working to build up (www.oham.net)

What do you think?

Thanks!

Pere Porta