b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Where Was Jacob's Ladder?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Where Was Jacob's Ladder?
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 10:55:36 -0800

On 7 Nov 2007 at 10:28, JimStinehart AT aol.com wrote:

> Where Was Jacob's Ladder?
> The geographical locale of Jacob's Ladder is a surprisingly important key
> understanding the Patriarchal narratives.
> In this post, we will see that the traditional view of the geographical
> locale of Jacob's Ladder cannot be right. In a later post we can figure
> out
> where Jacob's Ladder was actually located.
> I. First Visit to Bethel/Luz
> The Jacob's Ladder experience takes place at Bethel/Luz. Here are the key
> initial lines of text:
> "And Jacob went out from Beer-sheba, and went toward Haran. And he lighted
> upon the place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set....
> And
> he called the name of that place Beth-el, but the name of the city was Luz
> at
> the first." Genesis 28: 10-11, 19
> As I read Genesis 28: 10-11, Jacob got to Bethel/Luz one day after leaving
> Beersheba. Thus Bethel/Luz must be one day's travel time from Beersheba,
> no
> more, no less.
[snip]

This is a wonderful example of eisegesis. It doesn't say the trip only took
one day. It says
he headed toward Haran, doesn't say how long he was on the road before he
came to a
particular place. Nothing in this text requires his arrival at this place
one day after leaving
Beersheba. It gives no time indicators at all, you're supplying those all on
your own.

Dave Washburn
Why do it right when you can do it again?