b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The root XRS-XR$

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The root XRS-XR$
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 17:44:51 -0500

Karl,

I did exactly what I said I will do, I looked al all Hebrew roots extant with a medial R, an initial G, H, X, K or Q, and a final D, Z, Tet, S, C, $ or Tav. To limit the discussion to roots of the form XRS- XR$ I knowingly excluded all other permutations thereof such as GZR, RGZ, ZRQ, nor did I mention any other root not of this form.
Dispersion or aggregation means that the root refers to a material state of several free or loosely connected bodies.
You statement: "words that have no example as a root" is not clear to me. An example accompanied by some explanation would be greatly appreciated.
Likewise, "could have been borrowed from other languages" is vague and tentative. An example would be be greatly acknowledged.
XRD may indeed be also 'tremble, startle, disperse in fear or haste'. See 1 Samuel 13:7, Judges 8:12 and Hosea 11:11. The NAB sensibly renders Judges 8:12
וְכָל-הַמַּחֲנֶה הֶחֱרִיד
as "throwing the entire army into panic".
As to: "XR$, to work on or over (hence) to keep silent (can't talk while working), to be deaf", it is one of the most inventive etymologies I have ever encountered. Is this remarkable etymology actually being proposed in some dictionaries?
You are saying: "XRZ, (not a root found in Tanakh)". What about XARUZ of Song of songs 1:10?

Isaac Fried, Boston University