b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>, "b-hebrew Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 19:49:39 -0800

Dear Martin,

I am using the full text you sent to Brian.

First, thank you for your response.

Second, regarding the double negative with asher. It seems to me that what may
be happening is the same use as the OU MH in Greek. It is intensifying the
negative to the point of saying, "no way able" or "never able to."

Third, since I am taking the double negative in such an intensive meaning,
then
the OLAM would be equivalent to "infinite." This sense, although "eternity"
would be the same, would allow for the idea that man will never be able to
grasp
the totality of "eternity" or "creation" from its beginning to its end. There
is
a lot that man will learn or may know, but man will never find the beginning
or
reach the ending of who, what, etc., of God. David, as the "Sweet Psalmist of
Israel" (forgot who originated the phrase), had it right when he said, "The
heavens declare the glory of God; and firmament sheweth his handiwork....The
earth is the LORD's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell
therein....or the Psalm 139:1-18.

Thank you,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III