b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Martin Shields <enkidu AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: Bryant J.Williams III <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 11:09:17 +1100

Hello Bryant,

My question is, "What is your take on the phrase in the second half of the
verse, "et-olam natan bilbam milbam asher lo-yimtza hadom et-hammaaseh
asher-asah...?

There are a couple of issues in this verse (aren't there always), the meaning of ‏העלם and the meaning of ‏מבלי אשר לא. Taking the second first, we have a double negative which is universally understood as either indicating a negative purpose ("so that not") or else a simple negative ("yet [he] cannot"). The problem is that the parallels frequently cited to justify these translations do not include אשר between the negatives so that the second negative is effectively in a separate clause. If you look for examples where this does happen, the double negatives in those instances never lose their individual negativity (if you follow my meaning).

Hence I render the expression "without which [he] cannot find..." I'll admit that I'm on my own here, but I think that it both makes sense in context (see below) and also makes sense of the Hebrew.

As a result of the usual understanding of this clause, some propose reading העלם as "darkness" so that the "darkness" God has placed in our hearts functions to inhibit any ability to find our what God has done from the beginning to the end. With my reading I think taking העלם as a temporal term (so "eternity" in most translations) makes sense: God has placed "eternity" (some sort of awareness which extends beyond the present moment) in our "hearts" without which we could not find what God has done from start to finish.

How does this make sense in context? The fact that Qohelet proceeds to make assertions about what God has done and will do (cf. especially Qoh 3:14-15) immediately demonstrates that Qohelet has some awareness of what God has done and will do (at least he thinks he does!). It is obvious that Qohelet isn't claiming omniscience nor comprehensive knowledge of what God has and will do, but he has some awareness and that seems to be sufficient to justify his observation.

I hope that helps!

Regards,

Martin Shields,
Sydney, Australia.