b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Trouble getting decent-looking Hebrew in Mac OS X

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <klowery AT whi.wts.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Trouble getting decent-looking Hebrew in Mac OS X
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:29:33 -0400

Jonathan Bartlett wrote, On 11/01/07 11:58:

I'm trying to type some decent-looking Unicode Hebrew on Mac OS X,
but I'm running into some problems. The default font is ugly,
especially when more than one pointing needs to be added to a letter.
I've tried fonts like Ezra SIL, but all of the pointings on that font
show up left-aligned on the letter. I don't know if that's a font
problem, a user problem, or an Mac OS X problem.

My laptop is a G4 PowerBook. My experience has been that the Mellel
wordprocessor plus SBLHebrew is the best solution for those of us doing
biblical studies on that platform. None of the other text editors or
word processors can compete with it. And the price is very reasonable.

In general the OS X system does not handle cantillated Hebrew very well
or at all.

Blessings,

Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD, Director
The J. Alan Groves Center for Advanced Biblical Research