b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Trouble getting decent-looking Hebrew in Mac OS X

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Martin Shields <enkidu AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: Jonathan Bartlett <jonathan AT newmedio.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Trouble getting decent-looking Hebrew in Mac OS X
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 08:22:38 +1100

Jon,

AFAIK, Macs use Apple's own typography which means that *most* non- Apple fonts won't work well (with one caveat, see below). The fonts that should look reasonable in Apple's own apps are Arial Hebrew, Cardo, Lucida Grande, New Peninim MT, and Raanana. At least some of these fonts may be installed on your system by default.

The caveat: if you use the word processor Mellel (http:// www.mellel.com/) it has support for OpenType fonts and will work with Ezra SIL SR and some of the other fonts you may prefer. You can try before you buy.

Hope that helps,

Martin Shields,
Sydney, Australia.