b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk, rob AT designceramics.co.uk, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Awohili AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:54:00 EST

By the way, you may be interested in a different opinion on the KJV voiced
by Bible translator Robert Alter, in his _The Five Books of Moses_ (Norton,
2004):

"One might have expected that this recent flurry of translation activity,
informed by the newly focused awareness of the meanings of biblical Hebrew,
would have produced at least some English versions that would be both vividly

precise and closer to the feel of the original than any of the older
translations. Instead, the modern English versions...have placed readers at
grotesque distance from the distinctive literary experience of the Bible in
its
original language. As a consequence, the King James Version, as Gerald
Hammond,
an eminent British authority on Bible translations, has convincingly argued,
remains the closest approach for English readers to the original -- despite
its frequent and at times embarrassing inaccuracies, despite its archaisms,
and
despite its insistent substitution of Renaissance English tonalities and
rhythms for biblical ones." -- Introduction, xvii (My emphasis)

It would seem that Alter does not agree that the KJV represents "bad
English." And I would argue that the NWT presents a much 'closer approach
in
English to the original' than does the KJV.

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 11/18/2005 9:15:59 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk writes:

>The King James Version was my first Bible, and the Bible that is imprinted
>on my mind. It's full of archaic English and terms difficult to
understand.
>Does that make it "bad English"?

In a word, Yes!