b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:44:39 +0000

On 18/11/2005 01:51, Karl Randolph wrote:

Peter:

No, I still disagree, as Hebrews specifically indicates that Jesus was not part of the Levitical priesthood. Thus the Levitical priesthood did not continue on forever.

The point is not what actually happened later, but whether it was the author's intention in Exodus 40:15 to communicate that this priesthood would last for ever. I believe that it was.

Jesus does not continue the Levitical priesthood, but if you insist on bringing in the NT perspective, all believers in Jesus as the Messiah are priests, including those who are in fact descended from Levi. There are also, by the way, priests descended from Levi offering sacrifices to God in the land of Israel (or Palestine) to this day - the Samaritans on Mount Gerizim.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)