b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 10:38:25 -0400

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:29:54 -0500 "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
writes:
> George:
>
> What relationship does Romans 2 have with the question?
>
> The reference here is to Mount Sinai. Mount Sinai is probably the
> most famous example of Theistic activity in the Bible, with the
> exception for
> Christians of Jesus. This has nothing to do with nature’s laws which
> God created, but with his moral and national laws. These laws also
> did not restrict
> God in his activity with man, such as not giving specific prophecies
> naming manes.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

________________

Karl,

As the moral law is "written" in the heart of man so also the natural law
is revealed in the operations of the universe which reveal God's
faithfulness. It does not reveal a capriciousness which manifests itself
in intervening whenever the pool ball needs to be nudged toward the
proper pocket. It does not reveal a tendency to satisfy idle curiosity
regarding names and dates, etc. Ask yourself just what purpose it would
serve to reveal the name of Josiah long before his appearance. It is far
more probable that the prophecy as originally uttered mentioned no
specific name but that the name was supplied after the fact. Do you
object because this seems to you to take some of the marvellousness from
it? Considering the balance of power at the time, wouldn't it be
sufficiently amazing without the name? I know, you balk at sacrificing
the idea that the very words are divinely inspired and infallible. Just
where do you get this notion? Not from the scriptures (besides, are we
to suppose that a thing is the case simply because it is asserted to be
so?) I'm sure you are of the opinion that I don't hold the scriptures to
be "the word of the Lord." This is not the case. I simply have a
different view of what this word happens to be and how it came to be.
You claim to have read through the TANAK in (unpointed) Hebrew a number
of times and to have developed a sense of the changes which the language
has undergone over time (according to the traditional understanding) and
yet you can't distinguish the style of 1st Isaiah and 2nd Isaiah? I find
that amazing.

george
gfsomsel