b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 19:37:50 +0500

On 09/04/2005 15:01, George F Somsel wrote:

Karl,

You say that the mention of Cyrus is the only reason to assume that there
are two authors. Then why does 2nd Isaiah depict the return of the
captives as a second exodus in procession back to their homeland? Why
does it state in Is 48.7 (playing upon the theme of the exodus and Sinai)

(aT.fH NiB:R)W. W:Lo) M")fZ Now you are created and not of old.

It would seem that this presumes an entirely different situation.

What it presumes is that these are predictive prophecies of both exile and return. For those who presuppose that such prophecies are impossible, of course there has to be a separate second Isaiah. But for those like Karl and myself who do not rule out such prophecies, there is no evidence here for a separate second Isaiah. For me, the issue is uncertain, but cannot be decided by your simplistic arguments.

Stylistic arguments may take us further, but even these are dangerous. The latter part of the book may have been written by Isaiah decades after he wrote the first part. I know the style of my writing has changed over decades, and so could Isaiah's style.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)