b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 06:01:11 -0400

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 12:37:03 -0500 "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
writes:
> George:
>
> Besides this list, I also am on a couple of lists connected with
> hobbies and work. The vocabulary that I use for the different
> subjects differs noticeably,
> but the style of writing is recognizeably similar. However, there
> are even some differences in style. My writing style changes by
> subject matter and
> audience even though certain aspects remain constant (e.g. I tend to
> use long, run on sentences. And I have gotten to the habit of
> starting sentences
> with an “And” to show continuation of thought.)
>
> One of my professors commented that had it not been for the naming
> of Cyrus, there is no stylistic reason to assume two authors. There
> is a shift in
> emphasis leading to a shift in vocabulary used, “but whoever the
> redactor was who combined the two works under one name made a very
> good call”
> because the authors’ styles are almost identical. That professor not
> only talked about a second Isaiah, but also a third.
>
> Yes, I have noticed a slight change in style, but I have always
> attributed it to a change in emphasis, and the stylistic change is
> so minor that it can be
> explained by that change in emphasis.
>
> As for your theological claims, beyond mentioning that I do not find
> them logically nor philosophically coherant, I do not wish to argue
> them on list.
> There is no reason to assume that the God who created the space-time
> continuum with all its laws in the first place, would not suspend
> them from
> time to time if it fits his purposes in his communication with his
> creation—man. And that includes naming names in prophecy. This is
> not a question of
> probabilities, not even possibilities, but what did God say he did?
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

Karl,

You say that the mention of Cyrus is the only reason to assume that there
are two authors. Then why does 2nd Isaiah depict the return of the
captives as a second exodus in procession back to their homeland? Why
does it state in Is 48.7 (playing upon the theme of the exodus and Sinai)

(aT.fH NiB:R)W. W:Lo) M")fZ
Now you are created and not of old.

It would seem that this presumes an entirely different situation.

george
gfsomsel