b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 07:33:02 -0400

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 01:24:25 -0500 "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
writes:
> George:
>
> I don’t have your translation before me, but I noticed that you
> translated NBR)W as an active verb, while the form is clearly
> Niphal.
>
> Starting from the second half of verse 6, “I cause you to hear new
> (things) that were not before, (things that were) guarded up that
> you should not
> know them. And now they are created and not from before and before
> (this) day, that you should hear of them, lest you should say
> ‘Behold I know
> them.’” (as taken from the text for MacSword project, Aleppo text
> for Linux and Mac).
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

I really did translate that as a niphal. If you will check you will see
that the translation was

(aT.fH NiB:R)W. W:Lo) M")fZ
Now you are created and not of old

I did not say "you created" but "you are created" which is clearly a
passive. I should, however, have said "they are . . ." since it is a 3
pl. But I note that you do not give your own translation in any case.

george
gfsomsel