b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: peterkirk AT qaya.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:18:11 -0500

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:04:20 +0000 Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
writes:
> On 15/01/2005 14:47, Jim West wrote:
> >
> > Peter Kirk wrote:
> >
> >> Karl, there is clearly something wrong with the Linux computer if
> it
> >> cannot display the first word of the Hebrew Bible correctly, as
> >> below. This word was not corrupted by any mail server, nor by the
>
> >> Linux system, because it appeared correctly in your reply to me.

> > I'm not sure if you can see it or not- but in the sample I
> received
> > the letters are separated by the vowels- a full space being
> devoted to
> > each.
> >
> No, I don't see this, it appears correctly to me, within the
> limitations
> of the font. What is your default font for display of Hebrew text?
> Try
> setting it to a font which supports Unicode Hebrew, which should
> include
> any of the system standard fonts.
>
> But you may need to enable Hebrew as one of the languages supported
> by
> your system. It is somewhere in Control Panel, Language Settings or
> something similar, in Windows 2000 and XP. In Windows 95 and 98 you
> get
> this by installing Internet Explorer 5 or later with the Hebrew
> support
> option.
>
> > here's the first word of genesis:
> >
> > ty#)rb
> >
> I just see Latin script backwards. But then I don't have SPEzra
> installed. And I note that if I did I would still not see correctly
> positioned vowels.
> --
> Peter Kirk
> peter AT qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk AT qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/

Peter,

I do have SPEzra, but I still need to copy what appears and re-format it
to get it to appear in Hebrew characters (without vowels) as ??????.
Part of the problem -- indeed, I think most of the problem -- lies in the
fact that SPEzra is NOT a unicode font but one of the legacy fonts.

george
gfsomsel