b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 01:35:09 -0500

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 01:23:36 -0500 "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
writes:

> It is my understanding that some mail programs on the servers strip
> out unicode references leaving gibberish. In those cases, it doesn't
> matter what software runs the client's computer, the Hebrew
> information is stripped out before his computer sees it. Finally, I
> don't know how to write Hebrew on this borrowed computer.
>
> My suggestion is that we use both, the transliteration as well as
> the Hebrew until which time as all computers and servers are
> equipped with unicode complient software. When I do write Hebrew, I
> include a transliteration just in case. I would prefer to use Hebrew
> only, but it appears that the time has not yet come.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

Karl appears to be correct here. Sometimes I receive Hebrew in unicode,
and sometimes I receive gibberish. It seems to depend upon who is
sending. Karl's, unfortunately, does not fare well but some of that
which has been sent in this thread appears properly.

george
gfsomsel