b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:57:33 +0000

On 15/11/2004 23:51, Karl Randolph wrote:

What I noticed is that the uncial Greek forms of sigma and xi are
recognizably derivitive from the paleo-Hebrew alphabet both in form and
pronunciation, and that the use of the xi was used mostly in the same places
as the samekh in Hebrew in the transliteration of Persian names as late as
Ezra and Nehemiah. ...

Interesting. I wonder if the author was somehow transliterating according to form and perhaps correspondence in alphabetical order rather than sound. That would suggest that the Greek alphabet was recognised as a variant of the Semitic one.

As for the paleo-Hebrew, the samekh was made up of three horizontal lines
with a vertical line tying them together, like a Greek uncial xi with a
vertical line piercing it, though sometimes the vertical line dropped below
the bottom horizontal line. The sin/shin letter looked very similar to a
Greek uncial sigma rotated 90° counter clockwise. They looked very different
from each other, I do not see how their shapes could coalesce.

They are not that different, apart from orientation which was obviously variable: three points joined together. Shin looked like M rotated and samekh rather like m rotated, but we recognise M and m as variants of the same letter. So it is certainly possible that the shapes coalesced.

On the other hand, Arabic seen as well as sheen could come from Hebrew shin. This seems to be supported by Table 5.5 in http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2311.pdf, which suggests a development from square Hebrew/Aramaic through Nabataean to early Arabic, with samekh being dropped.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)