b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:26:11 -0500

Yitzhak:

I originally noticed this pattern while reading through Ezra and Nehemiah. I
do not have access to later writings, so I don’t know how they treated the
pronunciations. But I can speculate (with the best of them :-( ).

I first noticed it with the transliteration of Artaxerxes: the first Xi in
the name corrosponds to the Hebrew and Aramaic X$, which to the Greek ear
probably sounded like an /x/, but the second one in Hebrew, such as all the
times in Nehemiah and in Ezra 7:7, 11 were written with a samekh, while Ezra
in his Aramaic portions, e.g. Ezra 4:4, 7:21 transliterated the /x/ with a
sin/shin.

My interpretation of this is that Hebrew still retained an archaic
pronunciation that predated the exile, though it was already becoming
fossilized as the young people were speaking Aramaic rather than Hebrew in
their daily lives. However, Aramaic had already bifurcated the pronunciation
of the sin/shin and had lost the unique pronunciation for the samekh. Within
a few generations, Jews also forgot the original pronunciations, and read
Hebrew as badly pronounced Aramaic according to the Aramaic rules of
pronunciation.

However, it is my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) that later Aramaic
transfered many words using a sin to samekh, hence also the Arabic placing of
the sin in the place of the samekh.

Karl W. Randolph.