b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:14:41 +0000

On 17/11/2004 05:52, Yigal Levin wrote:

Dear Karl,

The fact that Hebrew spells the name Alexander (who arrived of the scene in
333 BCE) as "Aleksander" is proof enough that at least at that time, Hebrew
did not have an /x/ sound.
There is absolutely no proof that Samekh ever had anything other than an /s/
sound, though it was obviously different originally (in early Canaanite)
than Sin.

Yigal

Yigal, what is actually the dating of this Hebrew rendering with kaf-samekh, or is it kaf-sin? I ask because the Arabic rendering (when not Dhul Karnain) has the k and s reversed (and the Al- reinterpreted as the Arabic article), al-Iskandar, compare also city names like a-Iskandariya = Alexandria, and Iskenderun = Alexandretta in Turkey. And that is, I think, evidence that at that time Greek xi was pronounced more like [sk] than [ks].

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)