b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Karnaim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: 'Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Karnaim
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:51:18 +0000

I have remembered another possible meaning of Karnaim. In the Qur'an, there is a mysterious figure called Dhul Karnain "the horned one", who is often identified with Alexander the Great. I wonder if the Samaritans, who of course lived among Muslim Arabs for many centuries, borrowed this idea, and translated the name into Hebrew as Bahur Karnaim. Perhaps the bridegroom mentioned was being likened to Alexander, or just named after him.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)