b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:19:45 -0500

Yigal:

How do you know that Phoenician did not have an /x/? After all, when they
took over the alphabet from the Hebrews, don’t you think they would have
retained the same pronunciations as did Hebrew? And it appears to me that as
late as Ezra and Nehemiah, the samekh was the Hebrew /x/. (Of course, there
could have been changes that neither of us guess at that would make both of
us wrong.)

My take on it is that the difference between the samekh and the sin was lost
fairly late, around fifth century BCE in Aramaic, while in Hebrew I’m
guessing that it was lost around 300 BCE. Those are also about the times that
the sin and shin were differentiated as different sounds. All of these
changes occurred long after the Greeks adopted the alphabet.

Similarly, the Ayen/Ghayen split was after the Phoenicians, also Greeks and
Etruscans adopted the alphabet (interesting, the Roman R in form looks more
like pre-paleo-Hebrew writing than even paleo-Hebrew which the Greeks
adopted, also they retained the Q and the S is a variation on the curvy
sin/shin of some forms of pre-paleo-Hebrew, leaving me with the conclusion
that the Romans did not adopt the alphabet through the Greeks).

My read on the alphabet is that the ancient Hebrews had only 22 consonants,
which they retained to the time of the Babylonian exile. They were pretty
isolated from other languages, so did not have much pressure to add phonemes.
During and after the exile, especially after the time that most Jews spoke
Aramaic in their daily lives, then Hebrew both added phones and phonemes from
Aramaic, and lost at least one, if not two or more, that they had before the
exile. One of the sounds that I think was an addition was the shin, or rather
it was a shift of most /s/ sounds, but not all.

Karl W. Randolph.