b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Mark Camilleri <markcam01 AT onvol.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:39:46 +0000

On 16/11/2004 19:23, Mark Camilleri wrote:

However I would like to ask what about another sibilant Arabic owns, that is, the Sad (emphatic /s/)? It is tempting to say that it corresponds with tzade in the numeric order (i.e. 90) but, in most cases, phonetically speaking, tzade compares best with the emphatics Dad and Zha rather than with Sad.
Can I have an answer to this?

According to the chart which I posted a couple of days ago, there are three Arabic letters which correspond to Hebrew tsade. Here is an extract from the chart, with the Arabic letter names and letters added:

Proto-Semitic Hebrew Classical Arabic

θ̣ (th dot) ṣ (s dot)=tsade ẓ (z dot)=zah ظ
ṣ (s dot) ṣ (s dot)=tsade ṣ (s dot)=sad ص
ẓ́ (z acute dot) ṣ (s dot)=tsade ḍ (d dot)=dad ض

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)