b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:44:42 -0800 (PST)

Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:

>.....BTW, Ayin/Ghayin has a similar history. Early Semitic obviously had
>both.
Arabic retains both to this day. Canaanite and Phonician lost the
distinction early enough so that the alphabet has only one letter. In Hebrew
at least, the distinction was retained in speach as late as the Hellenistic
Period; that's how Greek knows to spell names like "Gaza" and "Gommorah"
with a G. However in this case, by the time of the masoretes the distinction
had been lost."

Yes, and also in proper nouns such as 'elem , with an Ayin, comp. to
ghulam, same meaning, in Arabic with a Ghayin; or Tsa'ir , again with an
Ayin comp. to s.aghir -- "small " in Arabic, adj., with a s(.) and a Ghain.

Uri

http://mail.yahoo.com
From: "Mark Camilleri" <markcam01 AT onvol.net>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:23:13 +0100

--=======AVGMAIL-419A53A12B67=======

Mr. Yigal Levin said, "What I meant was, that Arabic only has one letter =
with an /s/ sound, which
both looks like Shin and is called Sin (or Sheen/Seen). By the time =
Arabic
adapted its alphabet from Syriac or whatever form of Aramaic, Samekh and =
Sin
were pronounced the same, and since Arabic did not have a tradition, as =
did
Hebrew and Aramaic, of using both, it had no need of both. By the way, =
the
very fact that Arabic DID revceive Sin, means that at least some Aramaic
speakers were pronouncing it as /s/, differently than Shin."

I agree with most of what Mr. Levin said about seen and sheen. In fact =
in most cases as sin/shin in Hebrew correspond to sheen/seen in Arabic.

I am aware also hat in various cases where Samekh occurs in Hebrew Seen =
is used in Arabic e.g. sefer =3D sifr,=20

However I would like to ask what about another sibilant Arabic owns, =
that is, the Sad (emphatic /s/)? It is tempting to say that it =
corresponds with tzade in the numeric order (i.e. 90) but, in most =
cases, phonetically speaking, tzade compares best with the emphatics Dad =
and Zha rather than with Sad.=20

Can I have an answer to this?

Mark

--=======AVGMAIL-419A53A12B67=======