b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 09:37:07 +0100

On 07/09/2004 06:04, Karl Randolph wrote:

Peter:

I didn’t mention a couple times (M H)RC in Genesis refers to the Canaanites
living in Canaan during the days of the Patriarchs. ...

But I did mention them. My point was that H)RC is the *land* of Israel, not that the people are Israelites.

... And you have to agree that the unspecified reference to the land in
Exodus 5:5 refers to Egypt.

Probably, but not necessarily. It is possible that, even as put on Pharaoh's lips, H)RC is "that land" i.e. the people who came from that land of Israel.

As for 1 Chronicles 7:21, the context of Ephraim’s life indicates that he
lived only in Egypt, making the unspecified reference to “land” connected
with Ephraim to be Egypt. But the reference is so brief and unspecified that
different people can read it different ways without being able to prove any
one reading is correct. Because of its unspecificity, I try to avoid using
such verses as proof texts.

I agree that it is underspecified and so uncertain.

I think the reference, HNWLDYM B)RC indicates that these “men of Gath” were
not born in Gath, rather born somewhere else. But right now I can’t prove it.

I must say it is a strange expression, which presumably contrasts them with other people of Gath, i.e. perhaps with Egyptian-born people whose family origin was Gath.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)