b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:38:01 -0500

George:

My last note was written somewhat tongue in cheek, but there are several
reasons why I don’t accept the documentary hypothesis, including historical,
ideological and linguistic. I’ve mentioned them before, so I won’t go into
that again.

If your only argument for your reading is based on the documentary
hypothesis, it doesn’t convince those who don’t believe the documentary
hypothesis.

Secondly, I’m involved with another group who regularly refer to the
Babylonian Captivity as the “Galut Babel”, my use of the term here was not an
affectation, just an example of not thinking. After all, why use nine
syllables when four will give the same idea? And 10 letters instead of 19?
Does it bother you? If so, I’ll try to remember not to use it again here.

Karl W. Randolph.