b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 00:04:57 -0500

Peter:

I didn’t mention a couple times (M H)RC in Genesis refers to the Canaanites
living in Canaan during the days of the Patriarchs. And you have to agree
that the unspecified reference to the land in Exodus 5:5 refers to Egypt.

As for 1 Chronicles 7:21, the context of Ephraim’s life indicates that he
lived only in Egypt, making the unspecified reference to “land” connected
with Ephraim to be Egypt. But the reference is so brief and unspecified that
different people can read it different ways without being able to prove any
one reading is correct. Because of its unspecificity, I try to avoid using
such verses as proof texts.

I think the reference, HNWLDYM B)RC indicates that these “men of Gath” were
not born in Gath, rather born somewhere else. But right now I can’t prove it.

Karl W. Randolph.